One of my favorite methods of character development is listening to music and trying to figure out which characters each song sounds like. Some songs fit many characters, some don’t fit any, but once in a while, there are those songs that fit perfectly.
And even better, there are some songs that spur further development of that character.
Spotify does this new thing where they provide a playlist of new songs every week based on what you already listen to. It’s a great place to find new music and if you’ve already been listening to music that fits your characters, there’s a good chance it will suggest other applicable songs.
I have a Countersink playlist and a Necromantic playlist. I add applicable songs to each as I come across them. Here’s what I listen to when writing each. I hope it’ll give you a better feel for the mood of each story and maybe you’ll find something you really like.
- “Long Way Down” by Robert DeLong (explicit)
- “I Awake” by Sarah Blasko
- “Run” by AWOLNATION
- “Ex’s and Oh’s” by Elle King (aka, Ginesbury’s song, the cad)
- “AhHa” by Nate Ruess
- “Run Boy Run” by Woodkid (aka Luis Luis Luis)
- “Everybody Wants to Rule the World” by Lorde
- “We Carry On” by The Phantoms
- “Raise Your Weapon” by deadmau5 (aka, Stop Breaking Baby Luis’ Heart, Paul!)
- “Dear Fellow Traveler” by Sea Wolf (aka, C’mon Cyril, adventures are fun)
- “Beneath the Brine” by The Family Crest (aka, Innu is a nerdy nerd ghost nerd)
- “Hope In the Air” by Laura Marling (aka, Cyril’s had enough of Innu’s crazies)
- “Blue Lips” by Regina Spektor
- “More than Life” by Whitley
- “Black Sun” by Death Cab for Cutie
- “Save Me” by Globus (aka, when Cyril tried to walk again, he wasn’t a child)
- “Wolf” by First Aid Kit
I usually find these songs while coming home from work. All of a sudden, one will click and unlock hidden treasures in a character. I’m so excited I need to share it with someone, but alas, no one on the train will care, so I just sway and stare out the window.